Dentist in Chicago Loop
At Choices In Dentistry, we provide teeth whitening solutions for patients to brighten their smiles. Teeth whitening may be a great option if you have stained, dull or discolored teeth. The main causes of stained teeth are genetics, antibiotics, tobacco and certain foods. As we age, our teeth darken as well.
All teeth whitening options contain the same active ingredient — typically carbamide peroxide as the bleaching agent. The difference between treatments is the amount of time and energy involved for the patient, cost and the concentration of the bleaching solution.
Treatment time directly relates to how long the whitening lasts. Typically, treatments that take longer to complete (at-home whitening) usually last longer. Conversely, faster treatments, or in-office treatments, may need to be repeated more often.
All tooth whitening has the potential to make your teeth temporarily sensitive. This is related to the dehydration of the tooth tubules from the peroxide gel. Sensitive toothpastes usually help prevent and relieve this symptom. Typically all sensitivity will resolve within a day or two.
Teeth Whitening Options
We offer four different whitening options: two you complete at home and two that are performed in our office. All of these options will get your teeth brighter:
Custom-Fit Bleaching Trays
This is where teeth bleaching began and many still consider this the gold standard of whitening. Two quick appointments are involved to take impressions of your teeth and then to pick up the trays. You apply the bleaching gel for a time that’s unique to the concentration.
10% – eight to ten hours or overnight
15% – four to six hours
20% – two to four hours
35% – 30 minutes
Usually this requires 7 to 14 consecutive days of use. You can maintain results with one application after each teeth cleaning. This is an excellent option for most people who are willing to do some work at home.
Crest® White Strips Supreme
Crest has made a one size fits all version of the above mentioned trays. Dental office strips (Supreme) are four times as concentrated as those sold in stores. They are also longer to cover more of your back teeth. A kit includes three weeks worth of strips that you wear for 30 minutes, twice a day. This is a good, inexpensive option for people who have fairly straight teeth and are willing to put in some effort at home. Over-the-counter strips will work as well, however, they just take longer to get great results.
Instructions for applying Crest White Stripes:
- Wear on upper & lower teeth twice a day for 30 minutes. It will take 21 days to complete your kit. For best experience, do not brush immediately before applying strips.
- Find zig-zag slit at end of strip. Use slit to separate strip from liner.
- Fold the rest of each strip behind teeth to keep in place.
- Wear strip 30 minutes, remove and discard.
- Wearing two strips back to back, one right after the other is another option. Just wear the strip for 30 minutes and remove it. Rinse or wipe away the remaining gel, then apply the second strip.
- Skipping an application is okay, just try to use all of the strips in as close to 21 days as possible
- Tooth sensitivity is common, but if you feel it is significant stop using Crest White Strips for a few days then use once per day.
This is the technique popularized by the show “Extreme Makeover.” A concentrated bleaching gel is applied to your teeth and then heated with the ZOOM light. The process takes about 1½ to 2 hours. It is a good option for those who are looking for a quick response and either don’t have the time or want to take the time to whiten at home and are willing to pay more.
Our in-office whitening solution is Zoom. Although it costs more than at-home whitening options, ZOOM will give you the quickest result with minimal participation and time required. Patients who Zoom can maintain their results with take-home trays if they choose.
About the Process
- To prepare for Zoom whitening, we will examine your teeth and gums to make sure they are healthy.
- Your lips and gums will be covered with an isolation material to protect them during the treatment.
- Then, we apply the Zoom whitening gel, which is activated by the Zoom light source. The gel and light work together to gently break up the stains on your teeth.
- After three to four 15-minute applications, you rinse and the treatment is complete — leaving you with a brighter, whiter smile.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment for Zoom whitening!
Learn more about Zoom Whitening.